Saturday, January 30, 2010

Baptisms at the beach

I got the honour of helping to baptise 2 guys at the beach today. They are both connected to the Anglican Church and both wanted to publicly confess their faith in Jesus and their committment to him. I was asked to help baptise them on Thursday night, at i jumped at the chance. I was just blown away at how special it was to be involved, and at how cold the sea chuffing was, but at least it was sunny and warm.

I swotted up on some of the scripture passages that relate baptism to Christ's death and resurrection. It was amazing to be reminded about why Christians do this. We are symbolically buried with Christ into his death, in order that we may rise to live a new life. But it's more than just something that is symbolic; the Spirit of God does his awesome work within us - his power is at work in our hearts. Romans 8:11 says, 'and if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.' That verse was knocking about in my head all day. Pretty mind blowing stuff if you ask me.

I always end up wanting to baptised again when i'm involved in any baptism. I'd love us to see more baptisms on the Island and hope to see some this summer. Bring it on!

No comments: